Saturday, July 31, 2021

GIRIBOY'S 2021 CYWORLD BGM PICK - HYPEBEAST INTERVIEW (2021)


 

Cyworld, the Korea-based social media that took the 2000s by storm, will finally reopen its doors on July 5. Even though we've reached an age now where our number of Instagram followers act like our resumes, there was a time when 'mini-room' interiors and 'mini-hompy' BGM (otherwise known as background music) were like a measure of their owners' style and sensibilities. 


English translations of Giriboy's excerpt under the cut.   


Ahead of the reopening of Cyworld, Hypebeast asked five musicians who ran their own mini-hompys 10 years ago the following questions – What was the music that they set as their Cyworld BGM in the past? And if they start a new mini-hompy now, what would they set as their BGM? 


2011 – Jang Young-gyu's 'Go-ni's Theme' (Tazza OST) 

GIRIBOY | Ten years ago, I was so engrossed with the movie 'Tazza' that I could memorise all the lines from beginning to end. I fell in love with the BGM from the movie ('Go-ni's Theme') – I remember when I listened to the song on the iPod that I carried around back then, it felt as if I turned into the main character Go-ni, and I walked around as if I've lost everything in the world too. Even back then, I had this compulsion that I needed to be different from others, so I chose a song that had its specialness, that no one else had as my Cyworld BGM. It's interesting to see that even in the music that I'm creating now, it seems like they contain the DNA of 'Go-ni's Theme', showing that this song has influenced me a lot without me realising it.


2021 - Giriboy's 'Lasik' 

GIRIBOY | Ever since I was in middle school, my dream has always been to put the song that I'd created as my Cyworld mini-hompy BGM. Around the time when the fever of Cyworld had died down, I had set my very first single as my Cyworld BGM. But now, if Cyworld were to become a hit again, I would like to proudly put this song as my BGM. 


---------


ORIGINAL ARTICLE BY HYPEBEAST
TRANSLATED BY @OHGIRIBB
PLEASE TAKE OUT WITH FULL CREDITS


No comments:

Post a Comment

< > Home
Powered by Blogger.
ohgiribb © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN emerge BY Sadaf F K.